There are 8 known artists named Z:
1) Z (Japan) -
Experimental jazz-rock outfit with one album release "Mikabe" in 2006, formed by ex-members of bands like 100 lots and there is a light that never goes out.
Current lineup is:
魚頭圭 (Uozu Kei) (guitars,voice,contrabass,drums)
根本歩 (Nemoto Ayumu) (drums)
山田高広 (Yamada Takahiro) (bass,alto sax)
根本潤 (Nemoto Jun) (vocals,tenor sax,soprano sax,alto sax,flute)
Z was formed from the ashes of legendary Japanese punk band There Is A Light That Never Goes Out who enjoyed international acclaim for their 2000 album “IE” (Dim Mak). When brothers Jun and Ayumu Nemoto (drums) and Kei Uozu (guitar, wood bass) decided to split the band in 2002 they shifted their focus to jazz; Jun exchanged electric guitar for saxophones but traded none of the abrasiveness of their previous incarnation.
Drafting in Takahiro Yamada on bass in 2003, Z was born. The band swiftly set about establishing itself a reputation as one of the underground scene’s most compelling live acts. Support slots with the likes of Keiji Haino, Lungfish, The Evens and Medications followed and they even found themselves playing with Damo Suzuki along the way. Often augmenting their line-up with additional drummers and guitarists, Z gigs are always intense but never predictable.
In March 2006 the band released its debut album “Mikabe” on their own Grok Plastique imprint in Japan to critical acclaim. With its first pressing almost sold out, “Mikabe” has already sent shock waves around the Japanese underground with its combination of free-form jazz and explosive intensity. Its six tracks feature singer and multi-instrumentalist Jun Nemoto delivering an impassioned, caustic take on Japanese society over a cacophony that grooves menacingly. If Pharoah Sanders had jammed with late-period Black Flag it may have sounded like this.
2) Z : An upcoming independent hip-hop artist from Minneapolis, Minnesota. Artist and Co-founder of "dispossessed.Records". Inspirations include Blu, Slug, Jay-Z, Erykah Badu, and Paul Thompson. dispossessedrecords.bandcamp.com http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dispossessed-Records/196914790354373
3) Z (USA) aka AZDZ or AZ/DZ: a band of Ahmet & Dweezil Zappa both being sons of the late Frank Zappa @ http://zappa.com/dweezil & http://members.tripod.com/azdz . Members inclluded Frank Zappa alumni Mike Keneally and Terry Bozzio.
4) Z (Belgium) aka Marcel Vanthilt (former member of the now defunct outfit Arbeid Adelt!) & his band @ http://houbi.com/belpop/groups/arbeidadelt.htm & http://www.vacature.com/scripts/indexpage.asp?headingID=4546 . Z’s only release so far: “MENSENZIJNERTEVEELAAN” (2004)
5) Psy Trance on VA compliation TIP 3D with the track Uncle Mavis
6) Z A noisecore band most famous for their record "Violence Action"
7) German New Wave band from Berlin, who released the album "In Berlin" in 1980. Their most succesful single, "Legalize Erdbeereis", was also on this record.
8) Z is an alias of Naoki Maeda, composer of the vast majority of "Konami Original" songs appearing in Bemani games (Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania, etc). Z's only song is MAXX UNLIMITED